Books for Adults: The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel
A tragic story of the girls of Roanoke who either died or ran away as far as they could never to be heard from again.
What was going on at Roanoke and why did that place mess up her mother so much? Until that first summer living with her Grandad and Gran did she begin to uncover the truth of her family’s dark and disturbing past.
I loved the format of the book. Engel jumped back and forth from Then (the first summer Lane spent at Roanoke after her mother’s suicide) to Now (about 10 years later when she came back after her cousin’s disappearance). Sprinkled throughout the book there are vignettes of each of the Roanoke women giving you information in pieces that add to the need to know what the heck happened in that house! One night I laid awaiting sleep and couldn’t stop thinking about how to the book would end…what were the missing pieces I still needed to solve this puzzle? Every few chapters I would flip back in the book to look at the family tree or to connect some dots given in earlier chapters that seemed less important at the time.
While I enjoyed the reading, the subject matter is less than favorable. I told Xavier she could read it when she was 35 and she gave me that ‘oh come on, mom’ look. 🙂
You can read a little snippet of the book here.
I received this book from BloggingforBooks.com for an honest review.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we may earn small a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Great Read Aloud Books: The Witches by Roald Dahl - October 23, 2017
- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon - September 26, 2017
- Banned Books Week 2017 - September 23, 2017
- Charity Spotlight: Reading is Fundamental - September 19, 2017
- Books for Adults: The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel - May 26, 2017
- Books for Adults: Mexico Stories by Josh Barkan - March 6, 2017
- No Beginning, No End: The Intimate Heart of Zen by Jakusho Kwong - February 10, 2017
- Rad Women Worldwide: Artist and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History by Kate Schatz - February 7, 2017
- Books for Adults: Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore - January 29, 2017
- Graphic Novel: In Real Life by Cory Doctorow & Jen Wang - January 11, 2017