Kid View: The After-Room by Maile Meloy (The Apothecary series, book #3)
Janie, Benjamin, and the crew are back and the dangers are greater than ever. The After-room is a thrilling fantasy and adventure novel that will whisk any reader off into the pages before you can read the second line. It sadly is the finale to the award-winning Apothecary series, but it is great all the same. This is very much a one of a kind book as I have not been able to find another to compare it to. Even out of all the books I’ve read, very few have had this same kind of creativity to them. This book is set in the real world in 1955 so there are many historical things talked about in this book. I love how the novel is based in the real world but tiny bit of magic float here and there. I think it is so cool how a lot of the story line is very believable (well maybe not the parts where they turn into birds and stuff but mostly everything else) and it make you wonder like what if there are actual powders that can turn you into salt or a bird? That would be epic!!
Maile Meloy has a very rare gift to her storytelling that will hook any reader. Her talent is great, you just want to keep reading about Janie and Benjamin’s adventures for ever! But I’ll admit, I was a bit bummed when the series ended. This series is actually the first middle grades book series she has ever published and I’d say, she off to a great start for writing more middle grade novel! I really hope she writes more. When I was reading the series I was trying to figure out if Colin Meloy‘s Wildwood chronicles had sort of the same feel as Maile Meloy’s Apothecary series, but I think both were very different and unique in their own ways.
This series is one of my favs and I think every reader of the age 11 and up should read this book at least once (and maybe two or three times more couldn’t hurt either). I really, really, really,really, really hope Maile writes more middle grades books or series! Really!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we may earn small a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Kid View: Cinder by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles, book #1) - May 3, 2018
- Kid View: The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding series, book #1) - April 19, 2018
- Kid View: The Silver Mask by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare (Magisterium series, book #4) - April 2, 2018
- Kid View: The Crown’s Fate by Evelyn Skye (The Crown’s Game series, book #2) - March 26, 2018
- Kid View: The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye (The Crown’s Game series, book #1) - March 21, 2018
- Kid View: Monstrous by MarcyKate Connolly (Monstrous series, book #1) - March 18, 2018
- Kid View: Renegades by Marissa Meyer (Renegades series, book #1) - March 15, 2018
- Xav’s Favs: My Top 30 picks of 2018 - March 10, 2018
- Kid View: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton - March 4, 2018
- Kid View: The First Rule of Punk by Celia C. Perez - February 5, 2018