Kid View: The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (The Apothecary series, book #1)
The first book from the award-winning Apothecary series is a five star thrilling adventure and fantasy novel that if you pick it up, you won’t be able to stop reading. The Apothecary mixes world history in 1952 with an enchanting fantasy tale to get a very different feel out of the book. It’s written in the prospective of Janie Scott who is one of the main characters along with Benjamin Burrows and Pip. I have never actually read a book like this one so it’s hard to compare exactly how great it was. But I know now it is one of my favorite books! Some of the concepts in the book might be a bit too much for some younger readers because of all the talk about bombing and stuff but I think it would be OK for readers ages 10 and up. Personally my favorite character is Pip because he’s the kind of character with a dry sense of humor and brains but also has more of a thief mind set. At the end of the book there is lots of stuff going through your mind and then it ends in suspense so you have to the second book ready.
Maile Meloy is the author of the amazing award-winning Apothecary series. In all the parts of the book you can see her creativity shining through the pages. She really has a magical way of captivating you with her words and letting you come closer to Janie on her adventures with Benjamin and her companions. Maile has very rare talent to be able to put a very fantastical story over top of true things that have happened. Overall she is a great author/storyteller and I really truly hope she will write more middle grades novels.
Fun Fact: Maile Meloy is the sister of Colin Meloy, who wrote the Wildwood Chronicles.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we may earn small a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Mark of the Plague by Kevin Sands (The Blackthorn Key series, book #2) - December 13, 2018
- Kid View: The Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer - December 10, 2018
- The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street by Lindsay Currie - September 23, 2018
- Kid View: The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands (The Blackthorn Key series, book #1) - August 22, 2018
- Kid View: Scar Island by Dan Gemeinhart - June 20, 2018
- Kid View: Cinder by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles, book #1) - May 3, 2018
- Kid View: The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding series, book #1) - April 19, 2018
- Kid View: The Silver Mask by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare (Magisterium series, book #4) - April 2, 2018
- Kid View: The Crown’s Fate by Evelyn Skye (The Crown’s Game series, book #2) - March 26, 2018
- Kid View: The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye (The Crown’s Game series, book #1) - March 21, 2018