Kid View: Shadow Magic by Joshua Khan (Shadow Magic series, book #1)
Shadow Magic is a humorous and creepy start to this epic series, Shadow Magic, that will make you laugh out loud and then your heart thump right after. It is a fantasy and horror type book that will keep you thinking about what’s about to happen next. A totally epic book if ask me!
The reading level isn’t to high for most middle grade readers but there is a lot of intense, violent, and gory content (mostly violent and some goriness ) so of course I loved it but I think the age to read it would be 11 and up. And on top of all the other stuff Gehenna is a dark place where they are known for creating ghosts and such, as well as pulling people up from the dead as zombies. So as you could assume there is a lot of talk about deaths and such. So in that case, if you are into creepy horror books you should start reading this novel right now! But be forewarned you may not be able to put it down. OK maybe I’m overreacting a bit, there also are some funny parts. Most of those involve Thorn and Gabriel because Thorn is just a peasant but he is stubborn as a boulder and Gabriel is a stuck-up noble who thinks he is the only and greatest person in the world, so they are constantly going at it, which allows the reader to laugh aloud at their conversations. Most of this book is set in Gehenna a place that anyone else from anywhere else would think of as terrible and creepy but the Gehennish think of as a normal cozy place to live. There are so many weird things in this book I couldn’t even list them all if I tried.
Even with all this extra fantasy creepiness, Joshua Khan still somehow make it seem so realistic, as though somewhere in a distant land a place like this could exist. I really don’t know how he, or any other authors for that matter, can come up with a good idea and then just put it paper as a story, I know from experience it is extremely hard. This series are the only one Khan has published so far, and I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, (I had to copy and paste all those reallys) hope he writes tons more middle grade books because they are so epic!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we may earn small a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Kid View: Knights of the Borrowed Dark by Dave Rudden (Knights of the Borrowed Dark trilogy , book #1) - November 13, 2017
- Kid View: Feel the Fear by Lauren Child (Ruby Redfort series, book #4) - November 1, 2017
- Kid View: Catch Your Death by Lauren Child (Ruby Redfort series, book #3) - October 12, 2017
- Kid View: Take Your Last Breath by Lauren Child (Ruby Redfort series, book #2) - October 4, 2017
- Kid View: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series, book #3) - September 25, 2017
- Kid View: Look Into My Eyes by Lauren Child (Ruby Redfort series, book #1) - September 20, 2017
- Kid View: Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan - September 18, 2017
- Kid View: The Fourth Stall by Chris Rylander (The Fourth Stall series, book #1) - September 17, 2017
- Kid View: Crowns of Croswald by D.E. Night (The Croswald series, book #1) - September 15, 2017
- Kid View: Snow White: A Graphic Novel by Matt Phelan - September 4, 2017