Kid View: Shadow Magic by Joshua Khan (Shadow Magic series, book #1)
Shadow Magic is a humorous and creepy start to this epic series, Shadow Magic, that will make you laugh out loud and then your heart thump right after. It is a fantasy and horror type book that will keep you thinking about what’s about to happen next. A totally epic book if ask me!
The reading level isn’t to high for most middle grade readers but there is a lot of intense, violent, and gory content (mostly violent and some goriness ) so of course I loved it but I think the age to read it would be 11 and up. And on top of all the other stuff Gehenna is a dark place where they are known for creating ghosts and such, as well as pulling people up from the dead as zombies. So as you could assume there is a lot of talk about deaths and such. So in that case, if you are into creepy horror books you should start reading this novel right now! But be forewarned you may not be able to put it down. OK maybe I’m overreacting a bit, there also are some funny parts. Most of those involve Thorn and Gabriel because Thorn is just a peasant but he is stubborn as a boulder and Gabriel is a stuck-up noble who thinks he is the only and greatest person in the world, so they are constantly going at it, which allows the reader to laugh aloud at their conversations. Most of this book is set in Gehenna a place that anyone else from anywhere else would think of as terrible and creepy but the Gehennish think of as a normal cozy place to live. There are so many weird things in this book I couldn’t even list them all if I tried.
Even with all this extra fantasy creepiness, Joshua Khan still somehow make it seem so realistic, as though somewhere in a distant land a place like this could exist. I really don’t know how he, or any other authors for that matter, can come up with a good idea and then just put it paper as a story, I know from experience it is extremely hard. This series are the only one Khan has published so far, and I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, (I had to copy and paste all those reallys) hope he writes tons more middle grade books because they are so epic!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we may earn small a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Kid View: The First Rule of Punk by Celia C. Perez - February 5, 2018
- Kid View: Pick Your Poison by Lauren Child (Ruby Redfort series, book #5) - January 26, 2018
- Kid View: 14 Hollow Road by Jenn Bishop - January 15, 2018
- Kid View: The Handbook by Jim Benton - January 13, 2018
- Kid View: Refugee by Alan Gratz - January 7, 2018
- Kid View: Xander and the Dream Thief (Momotaro series, book #2) by Margaret Dilloway - December 26, 2017
- Kid View: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series, book #4) - December 19, 2017
- Kid View: The Ethan I Was Before by Ali Standish - November 25, 2017
- Kid View: Forever Court by Dave Rudden (Knights of the Borrowed Dark trilogy, book #2) - November 24, 2017
- Kid View: Knights of the Borrowed Dark by Dave Rudden (Knights of the Borrowed Dark trilogy , book #1) - November 13, 2017